AK-47 Growing Information
AK47 got its name in the early nineties as customers in the Amsterdam coffeeshops were falling off their stools 🙂 This is a very strong breed with high THC.
With the high Sativa component, AK47 provides a powerful uplifting high so it’s perfect for those who want to creatively ‘get stuff done’.
Because of its popularity, many strains have tried to copy which is a good indication that AK47 is the real deal for serious marijuana enjoyers. Here is a general guide for prospective growers;
- Type: 20% Indica 80% Sativa Hybrid
- THC Level: Very High, 19-23%
- CBD Level: Extremely low, 1%
- Effects: Creative, Cerebral, Uplifting, Body high, Relaxing, Happy, Euphoric
- Used for: Sleep, Lack of appetite, Pain, Nausea
- Flavours: Sweet, Floral, Earthy, Sour
- Dominant Terpene: Myrcene
- Flowering Time: 7 to 9 Weeks
- Yield: Large – up to 1000g p/m2 outdoors and 600 p/m2 indoors
- Height: Grows tall but easy to maintain when pruned, 170cm outdoors, or 80 to 140cm indoors
- Best grown: Indoors or outdoors
- Climate: Sunny and dry environment, 20 to 26 degrees Celsius
- Grow difficulty: Easy to Moderate
- Dominant Terpene: Myrcene
- AK-47 has a very aromatic scent to it, with woody, earthy tones, as well as a definite sour edge to the smell,
- Flavours are sweet and floral, but with a definite pungent taste as well. The smells and tastes are a gorgeous and complex blend of flavours.
- AK-47 has a bright lime-green appearance, with orange-red pistils. The trichomes (or crystals) that cover the buds and leaves can give the appearance of a frosty silver-white dusting to the buds.
- Smoking AK-47 can induce creativity, and leave users feeling a happy and uplifting high. This strain is definitely a mood booster and will give you a sense of motivation, helping you to stay alert, whilst also allowing for a long lasting mellow high, which can last up to 4 hours.
- This is a great strain to help with stress, and insomnia as it gives a feeling of relaxation and mellowness. AK-47 can also help with chronic pain, nausea, fatigue, and headaches. As with all high THC strains, those suffering from any mental conditions should use in small amounts, as not to make your symptoms worse.
- Adverse reactions such as cottonmouth and eyes can be a problem with this strain. Drinking plenty of water and taking eye drops should help with this problem. Other effects such as paranoia or dizziness are less reported with this strain.
- AK-47 is an easy to moderate grow, but it can be prone to mould and mildew. For this reason, if growing indoors make sure to have proper ventilation and if outdoors, make sure it’s in full sun with good air movement. You will want to control the odour with this one though – it has a potent smell!!
- Sativa-dominant hybrids such as AK-47 typically do not mind humidity, but this strain is an exemption, and it prefers lower than normal humidity levels for it to grow to its full potential.
- The humidity can be at 65-70% for the first two weeks of the vegetative stage, and then drop by 5% each week until it reaches 40-45% during the flowering stage. Two weeks before harvesting, the humidity can go even lower to 30-35%, making sure the temperature sits around 21 degrees Celsius.
- AK-47 likes a relatively mild to warm climate, but with plenty of sunshine. You also need to make sure the climate is dry rather than on the humid side. Choose a spot (if growing outdoors) with plenty of fresh air, ventilation, and room for the plant to grow tall.
- Temperatures should remain in the high 20’s (degree Celsius) during the vegetative stage and drop to around 20 degrees Celsius during flowering. Overnight temperatures should not go below 10 degrees lower than daytime temps.
- AK-47 has a pretty quick flowering time of around 7 to 9 weeks. You can expect excellent yields and large buds from this variety.
- Outdoors, harvesting in Australia (Southern hemisphere) can take place all year round. For maximum yield, sow from SEP – DEC for harvesting in JAN – APR
- Check out our Aussie grow calendar for when to harvest outdoors in Australia.
- All Cannabis strains, require a full spectrum nutrient complete with the macro nutrients such as Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium and the secondary nutrients and micronutrients like, calcium, sulphur, hydrogen, magnesium, manganese, carbon, iron, zinc etc.
- This strain loves its food! Make sure it has all the nutrients it needs, particularly in the flowering stage, to help the buds become dense. Using soil is slightly more forgiving if you overdo it with the nutrients. If you are using a good quality soil, it will have a lot of nutrients in there already, so there is no need to add any during the seedling stage.
- During the vegetative phase you will need to give your plant twice as much nitrogen as phosphorus, and three times more nitrogen than potassium. The nutrient ratios to look for on the bottle will be either 6-3-2 or 18-9-6. You should also add in some sulphur, magnesium, and calcium.
- During the flowering stage, change the ratio so you are using up to three times more phosphorus than nitrogen and potassium. Also continue to add in secondary nutrients such as iron, copper, and manganese. Make sure to use orgnanic Bud Burst during flowering all the way as this will ensure a smooth finish with no chemical taste. Amazing stuff!
- For organic grows, we recommend Aptus Baseboost organic nutrient with coco/perlite 70/30 ratio. This stuff is highly concentrated so a little goes a long way making it great value. Simply add the pellets to the coco as per the instructions and it will completely transform any inert growing medium into a powerful full spectrum grow media..
- Your AK-47 strain will need consistent air flow and good ventilation, whether you are choosing the perfect spot for an outdoor grow, or are growing in an indoor grow room. They need air that is rich in oxygen, to help prevent respiration, deter any pests, and allow your plant to grow healthy and strong. Use fans to help circulate air, or if you can afford it, exhaust systems are an excellent choice.
- Marijuana plants are either male or female. The male flower produces sacs or pollen designed to fertilize the female flower which produces white pistols designed to absorb the pollen. If no male plants are present in the growing area, than the female plant will just grow larger and larger flowers in search of pollen. These flowers are the cannabis buds that we all know and love. The male plants hold only minuscule amount of THC, while the female flowers are oozing with THC crystals (the good stuff). For this reason, marijuana growers are seeking only female plants in the grow room (unless they want alot of seedy buds).Feminsed seeds have been cultivated in a precise way so that the seed is genetically more likely to produce a female plant. Autoflower seeds automatically transition from the vegetative phase to the flowering stage without you needing to adjust their light exposure. Fore more detailed growing information, see our in depth grow guide.